Shane Buckner's Principal Blog

Shane Buckner's Principal Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

Family Picnic and together times

We had a great time yesterday at the Omaka Scout Camp just relaxing as a school family. I had spent the weekend over at Okains Bay with my family before coming back early to attend the school picnic. These times are so important to maintain the community / family feel which is so vital to the well-being (hauora) of the school. Informal interactions between parents, children, staff help develop and maintain connections - important healthy connections.

It was super special for me to spend time alone with Sam from the Friday night through to Saturday late afternoon by which time Sarah and Toby were joining us. It was the first time in a long time that we have spent that sort of time together without any other distractions. I found out about his sporting pursuits and what he likes best about his new school. He told me about his transition t0o High School and the differences he was feeling about Primary and secondary schooling. I had heard a lot of this second hand previously through Sarah. He has more time to chat with her after and before school but it was so important that he feel free to talk to me and I was able to listen.

This type of listening is so important also as a teacher. I remember something that has always stuck with me from listening to a speaker about engaging with boys. He said that you really need to get down to their level and discuss the nitty gritty of the weekend, the experiences had, the parallels you can come up with as a young boy, and being aware that boys do boy things occasionally.


No comments:

Post a Comment